BUFFALO SOCIETY OF NATURAL SCIENCES POSITION DESCRIPTION
Tifft Facilitator of Learning
Inspiring Curiosity through Exploration
Valuing Nature’s Wisdom
Department: Tifft Nature Preserve
Position Title: Tifft Facilitator of Learning
Primary Reporting Responsibility: Tifft Program Coordinator/Director of Learning
Status: Part time/non-exempt
Overview: At the Buffalo Museum of Science and Tifft Nature Preserve, we take pride in providing an environment that inspires curiosity, self-directed learning and fun for our guests of all ages. All staff are recruited, trained, directed and developed with this in mind. We believe that science is fun and that everyone can be a scientist when they make observations and ask questions. Research shows that when you mix GREAT SERVICE with GREAT PEOPLE, the result is LASTING MEMORIES for our guests.
Tifft Nature Preserve serves as the living collection and environmental education site of the Buffalo Society of Natural Sciences. Programs are focused on sharing the unique stories of this urban restored brownfield to the school audience, connecting the natural and cultural environments. Research on its plants, animals and environments is integrated into its educational programming. The 264 acres supports a wide variety of public experiences ranging from passive recreation including fishing, birding and hiking to year round public and school programs.
Summary: An energetic, education professional responsible for facilitating learning experiences in a variety of settings including the outdoors for learners of all ages for the promotion of life-long learning.
- Serves as a resource person, a guide to sources of knowledge so that our audiences become life-long learners.
- Instructs with techniques of inquiry and thought so as to model how to think not what to think.
- Provides an effective learning environment that empowers the users and nurtures self-directed learning so that we embrace the BSNS Education pedagogy in all our programs.
- Works with other members of the Tifft and BMS education staff to achieve synergies among all Society learning experiences including the Buffalo Museum of Science and its partners.
- Develops and delivers programs (including outreach) at both sites of the Buffalo Society of Natural Sciences (Tifft Nature Preserve and the Buffalo Museum of Science).
- Supports Director of Tifft Experience and Tifft Program Coordinator in developing and submitting both orally and in writing statistical data and other reports as required so that others in the society are kept informed.
- Works with Tifft and BMS staff to identify ways and pursue promoting Tifft Nature Preserve and the Buffalo Museum of Science and its programming.
- Works independently and within a team to develop and deliver public and school programming.
- Serves as public interface in the Visitor Center.
- Answers general telephone inquiries.
- Routine care and maintenance of facilities required to perform above functions
Education and Experience and Skills Required:
- Minimum of Bachelors degree in biology, environmental science or education. Knowledge of informal science education, education theory and interdisciplinary curriculum approaches preferred. Demonstrated ability to work on a team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Adequate computer skills to achieve goals of BSNS.
- Ability to work with groups of all ages.
- Valid NYS Driving License required.
- Speaking in small and large groups
- Walking often
- Working in outdoor natural setting
- Bending/Stooping frequently
- Lifting/Carrying specimens and objects up to 40 lbs.
The Society’s culture is one of collaboration, collegiality, and teamwork. Candidate must enjoy working with people and have a desire to produce products and experiences of the highest quality. This job description is not intended to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, qualifications and work conditions. There will be times when the duties of this position will be modified in order to provide the best possible experience for our guests.
Please send cover letter, resume and names of three references via USPS or e-mail to:
Buffalo Museum of Science
1020 Humboldt Parkway
Buffalo, NY 14211