Genesee County Park & Forest
Environmental Education Assistant
SCA Internship Position
New York State’s First County Forest has an Environmental Education Assistant Internship position open for May – August of 2018. The position is administered through the Student Conservation Association (SCA) and is located at Genesee County Park & Forest in East Bethany, NY. Applicants must be at least 18 years old with a high school diploma or GED and a US citizen. Environmental Education Assistants develop, organize, plan and lead environmental education programs to audiences of all ages in a wide variety of settings under the guidance of park staff. Environmental Education Assistants also coordinate the efforts of park volunteers.
Job duties include but are not limited to:
- Assisting the Conservation Education Program Coordinator with programs for schools, senior groups, scouts and the general public
- Providing customer service to park visitors and program participants
- Planning volunteer and park events
- Writing articles for the parks seasonal newsletter
- Marketing of park events, programs and resources
- Scheduling and coordinating volunteers to assist with park events and projects
- Recruiting, orientation and training of volunteers
SCA interns earn a stipend of $125/week while serving and are eligible for an education award of $1538 that can be used to repay student loans, tuition, classes or cover future college costs.
This position requires 12 weeks of 40 hour/week of service from May until August of 2018. Hours are 8 am to 5 pm Tuesday through Saturday. Flexibility is given in order to cover the prescheduled programs that are outside of the normal working hours within the 40 hour work week.
- First Aid/AED/CPR training provided
- Experience and on-the-job training in Environmental Education and volunteer coordinating
- Deeper knowledge of natural history and ecology
- Job duties include volunteer outings (kayaking, hiking)
- Networking with professionals in Environmental Science and Education
The application deadline is April 15th 2018.
To apply please send resume to Shannon Morley, Conservation Education Program Coordinator at Shannon.Morley@co.genesee.ny.us. Call 585-344-1122 for more information